New Years resolutions. We all make them and at some point or another one of those resolutions will probably be to join a gym or to eat healthy. Realistically most people don’t keep their resolutions and give up on them by the middle of January. So I thought what better post to write than some things that helped me when I made the same resolution this time last year.
- Shop around – don’t just join the first gym you find! Lots of gyms do free trials so you can decide if it is going to work for you. Picking a gym that’s convenient and easy to get to is a great idea for those times when you can’t really be bothered. Pick a gym thats close to work/uni or on your way home and take your gym stuff with you.
- Organise a gym induction – this will make you feel more comfortable when you go on your own.
- Plan your workout – so you don’t feel like a lost and headless chicken wondering around when you get there. It also gives you the opportunity to look up how to do exercises properly. There are so many free workouts out there which brings me to my next point…
- Follow a couple of motivational accounts on Instagram – great for workout ideas and keeping you motivated! A quick search for workouts will give you lots and lots of videos and posts with workouts you can do
- Invest in a couple of cute gym outfits – the saying look good feel good really does apply! You don’t have to break the bank, take advantage of the January sales or places like primark do cute gym wear for cheap.
- Get a gym buddy – not always possible but definitely motivational! When I joined the gym I joined with my housemate and for at least the first month we went together until I felt comfortable to go on my own
And if getting healthy is your goal….
- Drink lots of water – make it a target to drink more it will make a huge difference to how you feel and is a nice easy starting point to ease yourself in!
- You don’t need to eat chicken and veg for every meal! Mix it up, pick up a healthy recipe book and aim to make a couple of meals from this a week
- Download an app to help keep track of calories – one of the biggest issues people have is eating portions that are too big, tracking calories is an easy way to stay on track BUT don’t restrict yourself! If you want that chocolate bar then you eat that chocolate bar.
DON’T BEAT YOURSELF UP IF YOU “FALL OFF THE WAGON!” If you miss one workout or have that takeaway you said you wouldn’t don’t just give up. Life gets in the way and its important to enjoy life! You don’t have to be healthy all day everyday to make progress or feel better in yourself. Just keep at it and remember to enjoy yourself.
The gym should be enjoyed and shouldn’t feel like a chore. If it does you are way less likely to stick to it!
Happy New Year and best of luck sticking to your resolutions whatever they may be!
More from me:
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
My thoughts on Grace Fit UK’s resistance bands. Are they worth the money? Did they make a difference to my workout? Would I recommend them?
An honest review of the Gymshark Flex leggings VS the Myprotein seamless leggings
My gym essentials. The things that live in my gym bag and I couldn’t live without them! As a new gym goer I had no clue what I needed and over time I’ve worked out what I need to have the best workout!